Sunday, October 2, 2011

St. George Marathon 2011


Well we did it!! We finished the 35th Annual St. George Marathon. It was another hot year and not too fun but we did it! I told Randy I was ok with him going ahead of me but otherwise he just had to stay with me because I was afraid to leave him. I was worried about it being his longest run EVER, the heat, his shoe choice, his clothing choice, and I told him heart attacks were allowed but strokes were not and I was just NERVOUS for him. I did it last year so I knew what to expect.
We stayed together about the first 2 miles and then something just clicked for me and I slowly got ahead of him. He told me it was ok to go ahead. I could still look back and see Randy and then before long I think he was hiding from me. I was doing a really good pace and was a few minutes ahead of the 4:30 pacer. I stopped at mile 14 for a potty stop and had to wait a few minutes. That is where the pacer past me. I got to mile 15 so happy to see my friend and took my sweet time wondering how far Randy was behind me. I waited about 2 minutes and saw him coming. I waited for him to get through the aid station and we began running together again. He informed me he had a blister and we made it to mile 16 before he needed to walk a little. I was fine with that and we stayed together again until about mile 19. I told him I really wanted us to finish together. I pictured us holding hands across the finish and we needed some pics together. We got one at the top of mile 19 and then my legs needed to get moving again or I knew they would get too stiff to do any good. Before I knew it I was ahead and couldn't see him anymore. Potty stop at mile 21 I saw him coming to the aid station then I left again. I felt so bad I wasn't running with him but just had to go. By then I had our time 9 minutes behind the clock because our delay at the start. I kept thinking I could get in under 5 hours so I just kept going and hurting and wanting to cry. I guess the race started 2 minutes later than scheduled and I came across at 5:02. I would be dissapointed but truth of the matter is.... I was 9 minutes faster than last year and I finished! Another great thing....Randy finished too at 5:15!! It was a good experience, however painful, to say I've run it again is good for me. I know I will never be a 3 hour marathoner, but hey I still trained and worked hard and in the end WE DID IT!!!




Randy in the white shirt and black shirt ready to cross the finish! great job babe. I'm so proud of you!!
Mom wasn't sure how to use the camera and was hitting the wrong button but at least she got me by the finish line. lol I'm in the pink, next to the guy with the poster. I guess my backside was better than my exhausted face!! I'm sure it looked pretty scary. I think I had 3 different people ask if I was ok when I crossed the finish line I felt a little delirious but I did alright to wait for Randy to come across. (they only had to tell me 3 times to stay behind the white line lol I kept forgetting and thinking the line was farther down. oops)

2 comments:

Angie said...

Congrats!! You did awesome!!

Is there any chance you would be interested in running the Phoenix Rag Nar relay this year? I just agreed to join a women's team and I'm going to atart training with them this week. I'm pretty stoked!

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/delsol

Punky said...

Love that you both ran it! Good job!